Friday, May 25, 2012

Stake Variance

At first glance it looks like I'm having a decent month:



The reality though is that it's been pretty ugly:



This really has been the theme to my whole year, particularly since I got to Costa Rica.

 



I ran above expectation at high limits last year and this year I'm running way below expectation.  It's been a pretty ugly year by my standards but I'm confident my high limit results will improve.  I feel like I've played some of the best poker of my trip the last week.  I actually stopped drinking the tap water here after basically every Costa Rican poker player that I've talked to has told me they're on the worst losing streak of their life.  It's the only common denominator I can think of.  I also have been eating super healthy  and am doing cardio regularly.  In fact, we just bought a treadmill for our apartment here.  I'm doing everything I can do put myself in the best possible position to succeed.  If only the only cards would start cooperating.

Due to my subpar year so far, we've extended our stay here another month.  It looks like I'll be here till about mid-July, then home for a few weeks and then off to Playa Del Carmen Mexico for a few months. I'm hoping by that time to make SNE and take the rest of the year off.

As it stands I'm up to about 425K VPPs which I believe puts me a week or two ahead of pace.

Good luck at the tables and hopefully my next update is a big upswing.

8 comments:

  1. Are you not managing to stop looking at your results all the time?

    I have managed to get to only looking at the end of the month now which really helps get rid of the constant switching from elation to depression :)

    You know it makes sense.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm getting better and better at it but I still look at least once a day. Ideally I'd like to look once a week or so. You are right though, it's much better to not look at all, it's just wasted emotional energy and results oriented thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It only takes practice, should be a piece of cake for a man with your discipline.

    I was wondering if you were going to make a post about the state of the current LHE game and whether you were going to switch to another game.

    I haven't played any limit for months and only play PLO now, have you tried it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't have any plans to switch to another game though it might be wise to start studying something else in my free time. The problem I have is there's nowhere to practice a game like PLO when I"m in the US, at least I don't know of one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I dont get why you would advise the best limit player in the world (imo) to change to another game just because there are few more games online. :/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know Tony is unbelievable at limit but it doesn't hurt to have a back up plan and I'm sure he would crush any game if he put the work in.

    I don't think anyone can argue that lhe is in trouble and has been for a while. All businesses plan for the future and poker players should too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. cant make the pictures bigger :(

    ReplyDelete
  8. Should be fixed in my latest blog entry

    ReplyDelete