Sunday, February 8, 2009

A Long Week

I haven't finished playing today but as of right now I'm slightly ahead of the SNE pace - 107545 VPPS earned to 106850 needed.

It was a crazy and difficult week. At about 6:00 yesterday I had played approximately 13,000 hands on the week and was down almost 7K. It was particularly frustrating because I was only down 110 big bets at that point. Every time I stepped up and played 30-60 this week, I got absolutely crushed. Early in the week I made the mistake of 4 tabling during the day with all the regulars. I ran bad but it wasn't a smart decision given how tough those games can be. After that point I was very selective about the 30-60 games I sat in but ran incredibly bad. After 300 hands of 30-60 yesterday I was down 6K! I gritted out another 1000 hands or so of break even poker at 15-30 before mercifully taking a break around 6:00. I started playing 15-30 again around 9:00 PM and everything completely turned for me. From that point up until now I went on a 300 big bet upswing and actually turned a terrible week into a winning week (barring anything catastrophic taking place tonight).

Here is what my week looked like in graphical form:





I realize I focus a lot on short-term results in this blog and it's not something I'd recommend any poker player should do. Poker can and will drive you crazy if you focus on short-term results. There's incredible variance that can last for tens and tens of thousands of hands. When I'm suffering through losing streaks, the first thing I do is look at my long term results. I have a graph of my lifetime results that is always on my desktop. Unfortunately it's human nature to look at short-term results and that's why most of us do it. But I'm able to cope with it by also keeping long-term results in mind.

My plan is to continue playing 30-60 but be very selective about the games I get in. There are some very good games going at night and weekends so I'll try to target those games and spend the rest of my time playing 15-30.

All in all, I'm very happy with how the year has gone. I'm still averaging about 1.2 BB/100 with almost all of my hands being 5-6 handed. I also made another significant change to my game. I ran a few reports in Hold-Em Manager and did a little number crunching that led me to revamp my 3-betting ranges from each position. So I'm excited about that (I easily excite) and think it will help add to my bottom line over time.

Off to play some more....

5 comments:

  1. Good read man! Short term results defintely drive me crazy too. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My first real comment! (No offense Jim)

    Thanks and hope things are going well for you on UB

    ReplyDelete
  3. A Piranha is still a fish, but a Llama is never a donkey. Bear in mind when table selecting 30/60 imo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A horse is a horse, of course, of course.

    ReplyDelete